Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Transparency In Loot

While I was out, Ferrel posted a survey on loot perspectives. I find the discussion as interesting for the perspective he attacks the problem from as a guild leader as for the actual age-old debate.  One of the questions posed is:

"Do you trust other players to award loot fairly or do you need to see some sort of tracking metric?"

As a player, my instinctive response to this question is that you're running with the wrong people, or at least the wrong loot system, if you think that transparency is the only way (or even an effective way) to protect yourself from being screwed over by your leadership.  In the ideal case, the value that I see for a tracking metric is primarily as a tool to help make decisions more quickly and in a way that results in an effective distribution of the loot. 

Based on Ferrel's longstanding interest in the leadership of guilds, I think he's coming at this from more of the administrative perspective.  In the real world, perhaps having more transparency might help mitigate the inevitable questions that get asked when the distribution of scarce loot happens not to work out in the favor of individual players. 

Interestingly, the survey responses are almost universally in favor of trust over accountability.  This is not a scientific random sample - in particular, a fair number of the respondents are in Ferrel's guild, which appears to be relatively free of loot drama - but I wonder if this is one of those odd cases where people on a whole distrust Congress but are fine with their particular Congressman (party affiliation permitting). 

Players, even when they're happy with their leadership, invest tremendous amounts of time, effort, and emotion in implementing loot systems that may or may not be any more fair/effective than using the in-game need/greed button.  I wonder whether it's really the resulting distribution that matters, or merely the feeling that players have done something to address the inequities inherent in assigning the scarce and random loot that plays such a large role in MMO incentives. 

1 comment:

  1. Good article, I was one of those who answered ferrel's survey and I am also a guild leader. As a leader I actually like tracking methods because that way if I have someone questioning my integrity I can point to a chart and say ok here it is.

    It also comes down to who you trust. In my guild i trust if I were to just use the NBG loot window (which we have done up til this point) that people would fairly only need on items that they want.

    However, my guild is small and we all know each other on almost more than a gaming level. If I was in a much larger guild, with a lot more players who weren't close knit, I would have a serious issue with just throwing the NBG window at them because it would require me to trust people that I may not know very well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated and will not appear until manually approved because the overwhelming majority of such comments are spam. Anonymous commenting has unfortunately been disabled due to the sheer volume of comments that are defeating Google's spam filter.